How does Sierra Services for the blind differ from other organizations for the blind and from other organizations serving the disabled community?
- A federal study by the New York office of the Lighthouse found Sierra Services for the Blind is the only agency in the nation serving exclusively in a rural community.
- Our counseling, education and transportation is a client driven service, not an institutional program.
- We also do not charge our clients for services which is part of our 38 year tradition.
- We do not duplicate expensive services already provided by other agencies, but rather use them as a resource.
- We are 100% self funded.
- We have a voting membership, so the community has direct control of the organization.
- We are aware of the unique character of blindness within the larger community.
- We do not try to do many things, just one well.